Sunday, August 24, 2008

Book for Grandma and Grandpa

I guess I am committing to doing this, and I can't believe that I am actually thinking about Christmas already, but I did a memoir-type book a few years ago for my Grandma Shaffer's 80th Birthday, and I am going to do one for Grandma and Grandpa for Christmas.  Several years ago, when I took a Biographical Writing Class, I interviewed Grandma and Grandpa quite extensively about their childhood.  I know I still have all my notes, and I'm pretty sure I have a couple of the tapes of our conversations.  (Now, if I can only find a tape player!)  Anyway, I think I have quite a few memories from before Grandma's memory started slipping.  

But, I do need a few things from each of you: 
  • Any memories of Grandma and/or Grandpa or our "family traditions."  I know we did this before, but I wanted to put a few tidbits in this book as well.  I thought it would be fun if you had some specific, more detailed stories.   But, anything you have, even if you already wrote it, I would greatly appreciate it.  
  • Any pictures you have of Grandma and/or Grandpa or us as a family.  You can scan them in and email me (gremily2@aol.com) or send them to me if you don't have a scanner.  I probably won't be able to use EVERYTHING, but it would be so great to have quite a few to choose from.
  • An updated family picture if you have one. 
  • "Family Genealogy" Info: Full names, birth dates, marriage dates, and please include all of your children/grandchildren
  • Jeri, Linda, and Jan (and maybe your husbands): Any memories you have from your childhood.  Any memories you have of your grandparents and/or extended family.  Any pictures from your childhood.
  • Any ideas of anything I may have missed!!!
When it's done, it will be hard-bound with color pictures.  I don't know how much it will cost yet, but everyone will have the opportunity to get a copy if you want.  I know the cost will go down the more we purchase.  But, I'm not exactly sure what the breakdown will be yet.  I'll let you know as soon as I know.

My Plan:  Have it ready to go so that as soon as Sarah and Christin have their babies, and we get that info (and hopefully a picture) into the book, I'll send it to the press.  I think we can get it in time for Christmas.  By the way, what are those due dates?  I know they are both November, but I don't know exact dates.  

What do you think?  PLEASE let me know your thoughts.  This really is a huge project, so I need all of you to help.  Also, I'm not sure who reads this blog, so could you please leave a comment so I know who knows.  Pass the word along.  Thanks!  - Emily

5 comments:

Price Hamilton said...

Sounds cool, what website are you using to create the book? My due date is Nov. 3rd.

Price Hamilton said...

That was sarah, not price!

Jan said...

Go, Girl! I will see what I can dig up. Are you planning on getting the memory book that we made from Grandma and Grandpa for reference?

Alexie said...

I think you actually have all the best pics of my family! :o) I will get you info and what pics i have. Let us know about cost so we can pitch in.

Emily said...

Sarah: First of all, I assumed it was you and not Price. Secondly, I haven't decided on a publishing company yet. A lady in our ward does one, but I'm not sure of the name. Do you have a suggestion?

Jan: That's a good idea to get the memory book. I also need to get all the picture albums from Grandma and Grandpa. I'll scan in the pictures. Then, I'll put them all on a disc (the ones I use in the book and the ones I don't) and get everyone a copy.